I am always looking for new stories for this website. If you are interested, here are some things to keep in mind. Please read this in its entirety before sending me anything. Thank you for your interest!
1) I'm looking for sexy, well-written stories about lesbians and bi women having sex with each other.
What do I mean by sexy? Turn me on, pique my curiosity, make me wet. Get me involved in your characters and their tale.
What do I mean by well-written? Use vivid language that complements your story. I'm not a grammar fascist, but I like writing that is, at the least, free of misuse/abuse of words, punctuation, and sentence structure. But don't worry about minor, fixable errors.
I also recommend Susie Bright's book How to Write a Dirty Story and Lars Eighner's Elements of Arousal. (The latter is intended for gay men, but is full of helpful advice that applies to everyone.)
2) I'm not looking for snuff or utterly non-consensual action. I don't have any personal objection to these kinds of stories per se, but this is not the place for them. Stories about other sensitive topics (from incest and underage sexual activity to bestiality and necrophilia) will be considered, but may run with a disclaimer to warn readers of extreme content.
I'm also not a big fan of "scene reports," that is, narrations of the hot session you and your lover had last night. I find that they're often not all that hot for the outsider, that they don't work as stand-alone stories. There's no plot or tension, only sex. If you think you can make your account work, go ahead and send it to me -- I'm not forbidding this sort of story, I'm just letting you know my biases.
Which is not to say that you have to go all literary on me. I like all sorts of erotic writing, from the sordid and nasty to the delicately phrased. I enjoy genre fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror, noir), so don't let that stop you from submitting. I love well-written S/M fiction as much as I do an all-vanilla story. All you have to do, story-wise, is catch my interest and keep it. That's the only true requirement.
One more thing: please try to be explicit. Euphemism and atmosphere have their place, but not as a substitute for the reality of what we do. Don't be timid, shy, or coy in your writing. I am not interested in poetry. This, too, belongs elsewhere. I cannot publish fan fiction (a.k.a. "slash") because of copyright issues. Sorry.
3) I'm looking for stories with a female by-line. I don't care about your orientation, and I won't be doing a panty-check on my authors, but all stories will be presumed to have a female author, and will appear with a woman's name beside them.
If you set out to fool me as regards your gender, and then go bragging about it elsewhere, I will remove your story.
4) Other details: Length is open; longer stories may be serialized. If you have specific break-point in mind with a longer piece, let me know.
I will accept reprints from small print 'zines and personal websites, as well as reprints of stories that are available only in out-of-print collections. Otherwise, I will consider only original, unpublished fiction.
5) I try to illustrate each story. If you have an image or images that you would like to accompany your story and that you hold the copyright to, feel free to send it in as well, in a zipped file no larger than 50K. You may also send smaller sample versions, and if I like what I see, I will ask for a larger version later.
Line drawing, photography, collage -- all digital media (except animation) will be considered.
I am also interested in artists who want to provide illustration for stories on assignment. Send me your samples (see above) or point me to your portfolio. I can pay a small amount for illustrations. Contact me for more information on art submissions.
6) I pay for each story. Not a lot, but a small honorarium. (Bigger than a breadbox, smaller than a dinner for two at a nice restaurant.) I'm aware that writers aren't paid nearly enough for their writing, and I wish I could subsidize all my favorite authors so that they could lounge about their computers all day long eating chocolate and writing smut for me. But until the world changes and someone gives me a MacArthur grant or something, we're stuck with the economics we have.
I ask for a three-month exclusive -- that is, your story will appear for three months on the Story Mistress site and nowhere else. After that, you're free to reprint it anywhere you like. I also ask for the non-exclusive right to include your story in the Story Mistress archives indefinitely. These terms are non-negotiable, so if you don't like them, don't submit.
7) If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.
8) To submit, send me an email with the subject line "Story Mistress Submission:" followed by your story's title. Include the story in the body of your text. No attachments please! Submissions that do not follow these instructions will not be read.
So, do you have a story for me? Submit!